How to choose a good home builder02/16/2023
About home extension services03/09/2023
Extensions to the house are one of the most popular additions that homeowners make. Not only do they add more living space, but they can also improve the overall look and feel of a home. However, the cost of extensions varies significantly depending on the size and quality of the extension and the structure of the existing house.
What is a house extension?
A house extension is any addition made to the outside of the existing structure. For example, an extension could be in the form of a new kitchen or dining room area on the ground floor, a conservatory, a second storey addition or even a garage. Extending a house can both increase the value of the property and add much-needed extra room to the home. Extensions are usually made from brick, stone or wood but can also be constructed using glass or plastics.
How do I go about getting a quote for a house extension?
There are a number of things to take into consideration when getting a quote for an extension to a house. The size of the extension is the most important factor to consider – this will determine whether you need planning permission or not. As a general rule, if you are adding more than 40% of the original size of the property then you will need planning permission. You will also need to consider the type of extension you are looking to build and whether you plan to build the extension yourself or get someone else to do it. If you’re hiring a builder to do the work for you then you will need to work out your budget beforehand and make sure that you can afford to hire a good contractor for the job.
Are there any ways to reduce the cost of a house extension?
There are ways that you can reduce the costs of building an extension to a house without having to compromise on the quality or size of the project. The cheapest option is to build a wooden extension to the house and there are several different types to choose from depending on your needs and budget. These include the garden shed extension, summerhouse and gazebo. Wooden extensions are not as sturdy as brick buildings but they look great and they can be very cost effective. Another cheap option is to simply extend the existing garage instead of using the entire space to build a completely new extension. Extending a garage is one of the most popular options among homeowners because it is much cheaper than building a whole new extension and it is much more practical too. When extending the garage you will only need to extend the walls rather than the entire structure so you will save a lot of time and effort on your extension project. However, there are some drawbacks to this option because the extension will not be as spacious as it would be if you were building a new extension from scratch.
How much will my house extension cost?
The cost of an extension varies depending on the size and type of extension being built. The bigger the extension the higher the price will be but this is to be expected because a bigger extension will require more materials and time to complete so naturally it will cost more. The materials that you use will also affect the price of your extension which is why it is important to choose quality materials which will last longer and are less likely to break down over time. Using cheaper materials may result in you having to carry out repairs later on which could be costly in the long run so you should bear this in mind when you are deciding on the materials to use for your extension. Planning ahead and using a professional service to help with the design of the extension can also help you to save money on the project because you will know exactly what materials and fixtures you need to use without spending too much money on unnecessary extras.
What is the process involved in a house extension?
The process involved in a house extension will vary depending on the size and type of extension you are building but in most cases the project will involve the following steps:
1) Getting planning permission – before you start work on your house extension you will need permission from your local council before you can start work on the project. This is to avoid causing any disruption or damage to the surrounding areas and you will also need to submit drawings of your plans to the council for approval before your project can go ahead.
2) Hiring an architect – once your planning permission has been approved you will need to hire an architect to design your new extension for you. An architect will be able to advise you on the layout of the extension as well as the best materials to use for the project so that you can get the best value for money. They will also draw up a detailed plan of how the extension will look so you can make changes before you go ahead with the work.
3) Choosing the materials – once you have drawn up your plans with your architect you can choose the materials you want to use for your extension. These will depend on how big the extension is and how much space you have available and could include anything from brick to tiles or wooden panels depending on what look you want to achieve. A professional builder will also be able to advise you about the different options available and what would work best for you so it is a good idea to get some advice from them before choosing the materials to use for your extension.
4) Designing the plans – once you have chosen which materials you want to use, your architect will draw up the plans for your new extension. The plans will include detailed measurements for each wall in the building as well as the positions of all the doors and windows so you can get an idea of what it will look like when it is finished. You will then have the opportunity to make any changes to the design before a final version is produced so you can be sure that it matches your requirements.
5) Building the extension – once the plans are approved and materials have been chosen you can go ahead and build the extension. The work will typically take a few weeks to complete depending on the size of the project but it will be worth the effort when you see how much difference it makes to your home. Once the work is finished you will be left with a brand new room that you can enjoy for many years to come.